Priestley - The Lost Pictures

Further pictures of the local areas lost for about 30 years

Harold Edford Priestley was passionate about local Benfleet History and was also a skilled  artist. We have some pictures by him on the site but we were given some additional ones by him.

We cannot date them but as he died in 1990 they must predate  that. They were discovered by the Library when they had to clean out some cupboards for recent work on the Library. They were discovered in some old boxes at the bottom of a pile of other items. As this Library did not open until 1995 they must have been brought along from the old library.

Most likely they were produced for a display in the old Library illustrating the local old buildings in the Castle Point area. They are all ball point pen on scrap paper, and some must have been created by reference to old pictures as the buildings concerned no longer exist.


Benfleet - St Mary's Church
Benfleet - The creek about 1900
Benfleet - Five Elms Cottage
Canvey Island - The Dutch Cottage
Canvey Island - The Lobster Smack pub
Hadleigh - Hadleigh Castle
Hadleigh - St James the Less Church
Thundersley - St Peters Church

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.