The demise of the Scone is touched upon in Neil Ardley’s book – Jottings of a Thames ditch crawler”, in which he hints of a sad ending for this spritsail barge. Built by Gill of Rochester for the London and Rochester Barge Company in 1919, it last traded as a motor barge in 1971. Her last freight was 180 tons of Canadian wheat from Tilbury to Rochford. Her skipper was the late Fred Pettit of Colchester. Scone was then laid up and eventually sold as a houseboat.
In June 1977, she was bought from Geoff Ward by Stephen Mallett as a derelict and abandoned houseboat and re-built and re-rigged so that she was back on the water with new sails and rigging by May 1979. After a few years chartering and racing, Scone was put up for sale again in 1983 and was bought by G Heald, a publican from Whitstable. He sailed her briefly before turning her into a restaurant in London.
Subsequently, having been sold a couple of times, Scone was allowed to sink on her moorings in the West India docks, was raised again, laid up in Barking Creek and was last noted in poor condition in Benfleet Creek. And there she still lies…just west of the road bridge connecting Benfleet with Canvey Island.