Congratulations to The Canvey Supply Company Limited, which celebrates its centenary this year.
The Canvey Supply Company was founded by Eugene E. Lawrence in 1919, and coincided with the rise in the development of ‘plotland’ bungalows, both on the Island and on the mainland. This followed the break up of the large estates of the landed gentry after the First World War, and the sale of their agricultural land.
As well as their depots on Canvey Island, the Company expanded and established a base in Benfleet in 1975, near the Manor Trading Estate, and in the 1980s moved to their current location in London Road, Benfleet.
For more information on this company, which has literally been woven into the fabric of this area since 1919, please visit our sister site, Canvey Community Archive, which has excellent articles on the founder.