During World War One, the UK was home to 250,000 Belgian refugees, the largest single influx in the country’s history. In this photo, taken in 1915, some of the refugees housed in South Benfleet are gathered with the parishioners for a group photo.
The building in the background is The Anchor Public House, which also housed the Post Office at the time.
With the help of the Matson family, some of the people in the photo have been identified, however many faces are unknown.
Since the original key was drawn, Miss Betty Matson has suggested the following amendment:-
No 9) Miss K.A Holthouse, later Mrs C.L. Matson