St. Mary’s Drive Surgery
Before the surgery opened in Essex Way in the 1950s local folk would visit Dr. Eaton’s practice in St. Mary’s Drive, Benfleet. The house was possibly called ‘Wheatlands’ and it was just two or three properties up on the left-hand side.
Dr. Eaton retired in 1954, around the time that the new practice opened in Essex Way and his son, Henry, took over from him. Also at the Essex Way surgery at this time was Dr. Stephens.
If anyone can help fill in the gaps and supply us with information on Dr. D. A. Eaton, we would be very grateful.
Best wishes for Creekside doctor
The letter in the local press (right) tells us that ‘Dr. Eaton liked nothing better than to receive a call from the Winter Gardens on neighbouring Canvey. He would contentedly cross Benfleet Creek, his short, precise figure soon making stready progress among the rough tracks in a part of Canvey that still largely remains an unflurried community. There are Winter Garden inhabitants who swear by Dr. Eaton and speak of him with real affection – a testimonial in itself’ it goes on to say ‘the creekside doctor, the man who earned respect through a quiet but authoritative manner’.
The photo below appeared in the local press on the occasion of Dr. Eaton’s retirement. The caption reads as follows:-
A TESTIMONIAL to retiring Dr. D.A. Eaton at South Benfleet, was accepted by his wife, Mrs. H. Eaton (holding bouquet) at a ceremony held at the British Legion Hall, South Benfleet, on Thursday. The doctor was unable to attend because of illness. Shaking hands with Mrs. Eaton is Counc. C. Bell, who made the presentation. Also in the picture are Dr. & Mrs. Henry Eaton.