Benfleet Fire Brigade

The changing face of the service

We already have a number of contributions on the site detailing the beginning and development of the Fire Brigade in Benfleet.

These photographs have been kindly donated by the Essex Fire Museum in Grays and show how the engines developed over the early years of the service.

We are indebted to the Essex Fire Museum in Grays which is open to the public by appointment only.

The early volunteer days circa 1920's
Essex Fire Museum
The volunteers & sponsors. Here we see a group of local dignitaries proudly standing in front of the new engine.
Essex Fire Museum
The new tender with further trailer equipment acquired circa 1926.
Essex Fire Museum
The old fire station circa 1931. The brigade acquired a new engine and we can see from this advertisement they had old and the new engine.
Essex Fire Museum
The old fire station circa 1931. The brigade were recruiting new staff.
Essex Fire Museum
By 1936 the brigade were housed in their new station at Hadleigh and this picture shows 3 of the latest engines on the forecourt. For those of you who like technical information we are told that from left to right the tenders are a MORRIS COMMERCIAL, a  DENNIS MERRYWEATHER and a DENNIS MERRYWEATHER N TYPE machines. Note they still used a hand bell to warn of their approach.
Essex Fire Museum
Let's hope we don't have 'a shout ' while we smile for the camera.
Essex Fire Museum
A pre war engine in 1938 still carrying the Benfleet UDC logo
Essex Fire Museum
Finally we have a post war DENNIS fire engine pictured here at the council offices. This machine was registered to the council on 24th August 1938. Note they still used a hand bell to warn of their approach.
Essex Fire Museum

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+