South Benfleet was part of the Brentwood Division when the Essex Constabulary was formed in 1840, with Superintendent Edward Davis in control of three constables for the whole division.
Stanley Fisher was one of two special constables covering Benfleet village before the II World War. One of his responsibilities was directing the traffic on a Sunday evening by the war memorial. The day trippers to Canvey Island returning home caused long traffic jams in the area around the High Road and the bridge to Canvey Island. He either walked or used a pedal cycle to get around his beat.
With the outbreak of war he became a full time police constable. He checked on all the unexploded bombs that fell on the area. He now was able to use a motor car to get around, but unlike today, it was his own car that he used, he was able to obtain petrol as an essential user. However, his daughter recalls not being allowed to ride in the car as petrol was strictly rationed. (Source:- Patricia, known as Paddy Marrison, nee Fisher)
Also see ‘A Special Constable’s Memories 1952 -1981’by Edgar John Davis, who was a special for over 30 years.
The four Police houses at Cemetery Corner were lived in by a sergeant and three constables along with their families. It is thought that one of the houses had an office attached along with a gaol. It is also stated that Essex Constabulary owned land around these houses, so more could be built if required.