The Blue Jays Band, led by Jim English, was formed in approximately 1953/54. The members had originally been part of The Circassian Circle Folk Dance Club but over time, they began to play their instruments at folk dances and gradually they became the Blue Jays Band.
In the beginning the band played with no name and it was suggested they could be called the ‘Roosters’. However, this name was not taken up and eventually they settled on the Blue Jays.
The band played at many functions over the years and were well known locally. They played mainly at Barn Dances but gradually began to move into the more formal Scottish music.
Jim and Joan English have many happy memories of their days both as dancers and musicians and performed for over five decades entertaining many, many people. Their last performance was some time in the mid 1990s but their memories are as vivid as ever.
Members of the Blue Jays
Lead fiddle/accordion: Jim English
Accordion: Joan English
Bass/guitar: Dougie Miles
Banjo/guitar: John Smith
Drums: John Smart
An audio recording was made when the band performed at The Mayflower School, Billericay. To hear these tracks please click on the individual links. The caller, who can be heard in the background of the tracks, is Les Barclay.