The aerial view of Benfleet in 1959 was kindly made available to the Archive by Steve Johnson.
The 2014 aerial view below shows the same area as is covered by the 1959 photo.
The Benfleet army camp that can be seen on the earlier version has disappeared and been replaced by the ‘Bird’ estate.
In 1959 the only access to Canvey Island was via Ferry Road and the bridge over the Creek at Benfleet. On the 2014 view an additional route, the A130 Canvey Way can be seen.