The Development of Felstead Road

Why was it at one time called Rectory Road?

It would appear that Felstead Road, when plans were first drawn up, was called Rectory Road, does anyone know why the name was changed or why it was called Rectory Road in the first place?

Part of Felstead Road is still unmade, it wasn’t until 1966 that the road was adopted by the what was then the Benfleet Urban District Council.  However the home owners were required to pay the council to have the road made up, each resident was asked to pay according to how wide their property was, so much per foot.  One resident with a 33 foot wide plot was charged £133  2 shillings and 5d, a great deal of money at that time, so much that the council allowed residents to pay over a period of time, but they were charged interest on what was regarded as a loan.

Dated 1919, plots laid out for homes in what is now called Felstead Road which on this document is named Rectory Road, taken from property deeds of Felstead Road.
Joan Dean
Plan for building plots in Felstead Road, taken from property deeds of number 50. This document is not dated but it is much later the houses were built in the 1950s, by which time the road is called Felstead.
Joan Dean.
Letter for the arrangements to pay for Felstead Road to be made up, which was paid for by the home owners.
Joan Dean
The agreement between Benfleet Urban Council and one of the residents.
Joan Dean
Felstead Road 2013 and some of the houses built in the 1950's
Margaret March
The unadopted section of Felstead Road behind the Holy Family School, as yet undeveloped.
Margaret March
How many of the roads in Benfleet in the late 1950's and early 60's were not made up and how the home owners had to pay the council for the work to be completed.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+