Built during the Second World War on part of the Recreation Ground behind Appleton Road, from which access was obtained. The camp housed 74 Coy RASC and the pictures below show Camp dances in 1951.
The sketch plan of the layout of the Camp has been drawn by Mr John Bennett as he remembers it. It is not to scale.
One of the billet huts has served as the Hall at St. George’s Church in Rushbottom Lane for many years.
The site is now housing and forms ‘The Bird Estate’.