Helen Stewart painted South Benfleet in the 1940’s and we have some of her work on the site. On Thursday 8th August 2013 she made a recording of her memories of Benfleet. Highlights include:
- Memories of being in South Benfleet School.
- Having to take the 11+ three times due to air raids interrupting the exam.
- Being strafed on Benfleet railway station in 1943. (Sheet 7)
- The attack on Canvey oil tanks in 1940. (Sheet 1)
- Not knowing about the V2 on Benfleet.
- Her father Walter Pickford the church organist and choirmaster.