Carnival Procession – Tarpots Corner to “Anchor” Meadow
The Green, behind Hall Farm, was the original venue for a toy fair held annually in August, to entertain the village folk. In the twentieth century the fete moved to ‘Anchor Meadows‘ and the booklet accompanying the event held in August 1935 can be viewed on this page.
The programme cost the princely sum of two pence and was organised by the Benfleet Branch and Women’s Section of the British Legion.
The Carnival Procession left Tarpots Corner at 1pm, arriving at ‘Anchor Meadow’ approximately 2.30pm and was followed by various events, with cash prizes awarded to winners.
At the end of the booklet there is a plan for a proposed development called ‘The Reeds Hill Garden Estate’ The Downs, Benfleet. Had this proposal been approved, the area between The Anchor and the water tower would look very different today.