The area surrounding the station has experienced many changes over the years as can be seen from the shops in these photographs.
Originally in the early 1900’s there were two shops – one on either side of the road at the bottom of Station Road hill.
First Shop on Left of Station Road
The first picture shows that Holdens were a grocery store.
The shop later became an off-licence as well as a general store still selling grocery products.
Today the shop is closed. If anybody knows what is happening with this property, please let us know
Second Shop on Right of Station Road
On the other side of the road was a butchers shop with an abbattoir at the rear. Health officials would have a field day in modern times with the methods of displaying their goods on offer.
The butchers shop is no longer there having been demolished with the passage of time and is now just a row of terraced properties.However the first properties painted white,although modernised,are still the original buildings.
If anyone has comments or early memories of this area of Benfleet, please feel free to attach your recollections to this site.