Essex Way made wider to cope with increasing traffic
In 1937 Endway, as it was known at that time, was rebuilt and improved, allowing easier access to Hadleigh from Benfleet. After completion of the works it was renamed Essex Way.
In the early 1970s, with the increasing volume of traffic, it became necessary to make further improvements. At this time many photos of the road were taken, showing that for the sake of safety, the road needed to be widened. Benfleet Urban District Council, as it was called then, began these improvements and over the course of the work many more photos were taken.
A mini-roundabout outside St Mary’s Church
Around the same time a mini-roundabout was introduced to the junction with the High Road/High Street.
Today, Essex Way is one of the busiest main routes from the A13 to Benfleet and Canvey Island.
A selection of the photos loaned to us by Castle Point Council, together with some taken much earlier are shown below.